Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tickity-boo.



Do I dare say that everything looks good? I just might!

As I was in the change room at the Gap yesterday, mid-way through a pants change, I got a call from BCCH. It was our lovely cardiology nurse telling us that Piper's last check up looked great, that the infection should just keep getting better and that any wheezing she has should just be monitored by us in case it gets worse (which it hasn't). She then said that the cardiologist wouldn't need to see us again until November sometime! Ta-da! That is that.

That seems so odd to me, but so good at the same time. I mean, at our last visit, we were dealing face to face with the surgeon (such a cool dude, by the way) and he felt really great about how Piper was doing, and now, with her repair, there is not too much to worry about. How crazy is that? I really do think the worst is over!
Yes, we will still have to have periodic check ups (and we'll most likely have a hematology check up in between there), but really, they are just for maintenance and record keeping. Wow. Officially done.

Piper's scar is healing up, slowly but surely. She just has a tiny scab from where it bled before and it is almost gone. Then we can begin some scar treatment.

Anyways, long time coming, but here is an example of the other little issue Piper HAD with her heart (no longer!). It was called a Double Outlet Right Ventricle, which, from what I understand, it effects both of the hearts "outlets" (aorta and pulmonary artery), as they both come over the right ventricle instead of the aorta coming out of the left ventricle and the pulmonary artery coming out of the right. The surgeon told us that they were kinda "stacked", and over the hole in her heart, and they should really be going in the proper direction. Anyways, as with all heart surgery, it was just a quick little extra patch over the pulmonary artery to make it a bit bigger and then the patch that closed the hole in her heart just had to be kinda scooted around that aorta so that is always arises out of the left side.
It doesn't make a big difference for us, but I figure I should document this anyways.


Yet again, I just stand in awe at how crazy all of this is. Piper's heart is still so tiny, and they can fix all of that, just as easy as anything.
I forget, too, how common heart surgery is in little kids. It is such an intricate organ, it is even more amazing how many times it gets made right first shot! But I am just so glad for all the smart, brilliant people who are able, gifted and available to fix babies hearts, and in particular, my baby's heart.

We are so glad to have that part of the journey behind us, though it is part of what makes us us. We wouldn't trade it for anything. This is all part of Piper's story.

And Mother's day was lovely. Last weekend was one of the most relaxing weekends in recent history. Lots of lounging about, walks, food, chatting and friends. I felt really refreshed after it all. I did get some lovely flowers (lily of the valley- May's flower) and we all had a really great day celebrating and loving Mom's (even though neither of us could see our Mom's).

A lot of the day I thought of how I was last year Mother's day...



I am so glad I am not that pregnant right now. This was just before our date for "cervical ripening". Gahhh... Doesn't that sound special. I wanted a baby so bad for Mother's day last year... we were so close. Only 10 days overdue. We spent the day skipping church, finishing reading The Hobbit (outloud- Matt did most of it) at Crescent Beach and then we went to Home Depot and bought a garden hose. Ahhh... when life was simple. Hobbits and hoses.

Still, as chaotic and colorful as this new life is, I love it in a way that I can't quite put words to. Most mothers can probably relate. And again, wouldn't trade this for anything. This is part of my story.


And here is a picture of Piper, because I know that is what you are really here looking for:



2 comments:

  1. You're not THAT pregnant, meaning you're a little bit pregnant? ;);) I tease I tease! So happy to hear everything is A-OK! And it is soo unbelievable that 'they' can fix a teeny tiny heart like that, so crazy I can't even wrap my brain around it! Babies are such little miracles! Sounds like a really nice mother's day, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah... it does sorta sound like that. Nope, not even a little bit pregnant (to the best of my knowledge). Thanks for starting rumours, Laura! ;)

    ReplyDelete