Saturday, October 10, 2009

Let me show you this book!



Ok, so before we ever left the hospital with Piper (after she was born), we talked with Dr. Duncan of BCCH at Surrey MH and he drew out this lovely diagram of Piper's condition etc, etc. He wrote down a bunch of numbers for us, people to contact and call etc. Anyways, in the midst of all of that, he said "next time you come to BCCH, we'll give you this special book about heart conditions". Ok, kinda cool. I love books. But really, I had no idea what to expect.
It turns out that a lot of thought has gone into stuff like this. I wanted to show you all the amount of work that has gone into preparing parents for this kind of thing. Man, these people are really on the ball!

Here is the lovely cover of the binder of info (nice and colorful, and easy to read!)


Then, there is just more specific info on exactly what will be happening to Piper when she has her heart surgery. They are constantly thinking of the parents. So nice.


Then they have everything nicely organized for all the situations that will come up, pre-surgery. Lots of diagrams and words of encouragement, and really helpful, honest information. They tell you exactly what will happen to your baby the whole way through.


The part I especially like are the little quotes along the sides of all the pages from other parents who have gone through all of this, and are commenting on certain aspects of having your child have heart surgery. They are quite encouraging :)



Anyways, just singing the praise of this hospital and all its going through to keep our baby safe.

The nurse for Dr. Duncan called the other day to just see how I was feeling about Piper's angiogram and if I had any questions. Like, genuine concern. Yeah, I've never met this woman, but she was awesome. She gave me more info for the day of and gave me some reassurance of how standard this is (they do 10 of these a week!)
She also said that once the doctors and surgeons have the results of the angiogram, they will discuss them as a panel (yeah, like a whole bunch of really smart doctors all talking about how best to help our baby!) and decide when would be the best date for surgery (the Dr has mentioned mid-November, but they will then solidify it- who knows, maybe the results will change something?). They will let us know within about a week or so of her angiogram when surgery will be.

That makes me feel really relieved. I would love to pencil a date down in my book. I need something to aim towards, to count days off. I need the visual of the days creeping nearer.

I feel as though I will soon be able to see an end point, when we can really start relaxing.

Big breath.



On another note, with Piper having 2 teeth now, we pulled out her spoons and let her play with them, as she is all the more closer to being ready to eat. She can grab them all on her own, and like everything else, goes straight in her mouth. We haven't started solids yet (she is just barely 5 months), but I think she'll be pretty eager for them!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for another video! I enjoy keeping track of what's going on...you guys are very much in my thoughts. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard wonderful things about BCCH. I'm so glad that you feel so supported by the doctors and staff, what a blessing. AND, what a beautiful daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very nice that the doctors/nurses are so caring and concerned for the parents. I can't believe Piper has two teeth!! She must look adorable with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For all the complaints you hear about our health care system, when you have to use it it actually works pretty well. It's amazing how complete strangers can demonstrate compassion like that. By the way, I'm loving your blog! So honest! Keep it up, and Piper is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous Mike here; Thought a guy should say something. That's a tres cool book, must put your minds a little more at ease, and releive a teeny bit of anxiety.

    Anyhoo, we're totally praying for you guys, especially Piper.

    Thought you should know that TOby prayed a very prophetic prayer for your family last night (totally unprompted.) First of all he prayed for Piper's heart (like he does every nite.) Then he prayed for "fances" and then Matt. But not a general prayer for matt; he prayed that Jesus would help Matt at work, and also give Matt a puppy!

    Love you guys!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally amazing you're getting treated so well - what a hopeful experience.

    ReplyDelete