Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tomorrow things get rollin'... kinda.



So tomorrow we begin the process of getting ready for the first little procedure before Piper's surgery. Wow, that sounded convoluted.

Basically, we start giving her some medication tomorrow so that she is ready for her angiogram on Friday. Really, its not too big of a deal. But medication and babies is always a treat. Most of it ends up running down her cheek, or on her shirt or all over her fingers, then, promptly everywhere else.

This medication is Pronpanol, which is a "beta-blocker", which, I think in this case is used to help open up Piper's arteries a bit? I have a better description written down from the nurse. Tonight, my brain is nearly empty.



Anyways, we start giving her 3mls tomorrow morning at 7am, then another 3mls at 2pm and then another 3mls at 10pm and then the last dose at about 6am. Plus or minus, here or there. I will try my hardest to keep to these times, so we don't have any reason to delay this procedure. And maybe they have special treats for parents who follow instructions well! Hey, I'm hoping.

Also, tomorrow afternoon, BCCH calls us to confirm a time to come in for her angiogram. It will either be for 6.30am or 9.30am. The nurse who called the other day said that they usually give the earlier appointment to the younger child, and Piper is the younger one, so maybe we'll be going in for 6.30? I kinda hope so. Surrey to Vancouver traffic at 9-ish will suck, and that will just add to the stress of the day.
Plus, we can't let her eat for at least 4 hours ahead of time (which is actually much better than I thought. I thought it was like, 8 or 10 hours before. 4 I think I can handle). So again, I am hoping for 6.30am. (wowza! I am not usually excited for anything to happen that early)

Again, they say the procedure should take about 1-2 hours (not sure if that includes prep, too?) and then they will want to keep her for at least 4 hours to recover to make sure the incision in her leg doesn't bleed and her IV-ed spot is ok.
Did you know, if they can't get a good IV in a child's arm or foot, they try to put it in their scalp? Yah. Not cool. The nurse said that if Piper is good and strong, she doesn't see why they would need to go in through her scalp. Ummm, so here's hoping for her arm?

The nurse also said that some anesthesiologists (almost spelled that right the first time!) let you stay with your baby right until they put them to sleep, while others let you take them up to the table, and then ask you to leave (while, I am assuming Piper will be good and screaming like a banshee by then). Half of me is thinking I will just want to walk away without having to see a needle go in her, and see her struggle, while the other half of me wants to help and try my darndest to sooth her (if that is even possible). I really have no idea how I'll feel.
I do know that all of my is glad this is all happening when she is young. I can still pick her up and move her where she needs to be; she can't run away, or tell me she wants to; she can't physically hurt anyone trying to help her, and she probably won't remember any of this.

I know I will.


Here is a little video of Piper and the Foos, just hanging out. The Foosa usually just gives Piper a glare and tries to steer clear of her whenever she can, but there are moments when she tolerates her.
Piper on the other hand is enthralled by the cat. You can have a screaming baby one second, then bring her down to the cat's level and just let her look at her and she calms right down. She is trying so hard to reach for her and feel her fur (and probably stick any kitty parts in her mouth), but the Foos usually doesn't let that happen. We'll see how this progresses. I think the cat takes it easy because she knows Piper really can't move all that fast on her own. But a crawling baby will be a whole different story.



And here is a picture of Piper's Opa (Matt's dad). He just loves her to bits and pieces. He reminded us tonight, with a lovely prayer, that we trust God in all of this. We give Piper up to Him, and just trust Him with will all we've got. He's got it all under control.


Again. Big breath.

6 comments:

  1. Shoot. The med is actually called propranolol. Dang it. Sorry folks. Running on empty tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances, I am on the same drug right now for my hyperthyroidism. I will be praying that everything goes as good as possible leading up to it and during so that you don't have any negative memories about it. Your daughter is so adorable and I think she could touch her tongue to her nose if she wanted to (it's a trick I can do):) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man - what a big journey. trust God - he is the best surgeon we know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here is a kind of cool, random, learning thing. I was going over my biochem material for my midterm next week and really getting it into my head (because it didn't make it in there the first time). We have gone through a bunch of different systems, one of which was biosignalling. It turns out that we focused on the epinephrine "signal transduction" pathway (conversion of signal information into chemical processes in cells) and we looked propranolol specifically. Here is some info I learned about it from my "cutting edge" biochem text book:

    - it is an antagonist to epinephrine receptors, which means that it looks just like epinephrine, so it will bind to the same receptor but instead of activating the signalling pathway, it will block it

    - blocking the epinephrine receptor will prevent the signal (epinephrine/adrenaline) sent from the adrenal glands from activating the signalling pathway (leading to break down of stored fats and other "fight or flight" responses to stress, etc...)

    - it is called a beta blocker because it targets beta-adrenergic receptors (notice adren-...from adrenaline...which for some reason is also known as epinephrine...), so basically it targets epinephrine receptors

    - beta blockers are also used for hypertension, cardiac arrhythmia, anxiety disorder, etc...I think will reduce Piper's stress responses and keep her heart rate and other metabolic functions 'normal' (not aggravated).

    I thought it was 'non coincidental' that I read all that stuff and then your blog...kind of cool.

    There is a much bigger picture being painted here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea Anna I now so am even more confused that I am getting all my words up mixed! :o)
    Actually knowing the meds will reduce Pipers stress is good to know! Why don't they give some of that good stuff to the parents? Dianne/Mom/Oma

    ReplyDelete
  6. praying for yall tomorrow at 6:30 am...


    MIke and Jana

    ReplyDelete