Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sleep: blessing and a curse

The good news: Piper is sleeping pretty well these days.

Bad news: Mommy is not.

I remember having some terrible nights when I was pregnant, of just being up for hours, watching shows or reading. I hated that I was not sleeping.
Now, its happening all over again. But I have nothing to blame it on this time.

Its most aggravating because I have a sleeping baby by 9 or so, then feed her before I go to bed... and then I wait. I am just laying in bed, waiting for sleep to come. I am so exhausted, but it takes until past mid-night for sleep to come! And then Piper is up around 3-4am, so it feels like I never get any of that really good sleep. Argh.
Babies are supposed to be the bad sleepers, not the mommies!

Now that I think of it, the 2 nights before Piper's angiogram were very non-sleep nights. And so it has just continued. Maybe there is some residual stress? I feel pretty good about all of it, but maybe its somewhere hidden in my subconscious. Dang subconscious. Messing everything up.

The hospital hasn't called yet to tell us what they decided on after looking at the images they gathered from Piper's angiogram, so maybe that is weighing on me. Maybe I am nervous about actually getting a date for heart surgery.

Wow. Yeah, saying it out loud is kinda makes it more real. This is the first of many times when I can't let this totally overcome my life. This is just a part of my life, and Piper's life, and it won't become the central feature. There is so much more going on here!

So now, I feel like I need to improve on my bedtime routine (usually its all about the babies bedtime routine!). I will try reading some more, or having a story playing or something. Maybe I need a good foot massage. Hmmm... I'll put in an order. Who knows.



Here Piper is, after grabbing the bag of spinach clear off the table (she already has the salad dressing bottle in her lap), munching away on good things like clothes pins and plastic bags.

4 comments:

  1. Frances, so normal that once your baby sleeps longer, you don't. I've gone through that with both of my kids. It usually lasts about a month. However, I'd say with the stress, a calming down bedtime routine would be great! I take a warm shower, make Gary massage my feet, I listen to relaxing music, and read a little in bed.
    It's funny how kids would rather play with household items than toys:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insomnia is the worst! I agree that a bedtime routine might help! Maybe reading a book while taking a hot bath! Cute video of Piper! I hope you hear from the hospital soon and can get a full nights rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: I think Piper was in some kind of pain last night (can't possibly be more teeth!!??), so she was up a lot more. Just my luck. I think I did fall asleep in good time, but alas, the tables were turned. We've had a much better day today, so let's see how it goes tonight... for mommy and baby. Thanks ladies:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, you could always try some valerian root tea. its totally natural and helps to calm the nerves and mind before bed. i've struggled with not sleeping from time to time and it has really helped.

    ReplyDelete