Thursday, October 29, 2009

Almost there!


Apparently this whole H1N1 thing affects more than you figure. We were supposed to have heard news about a possible surgery date for Piper by now (as they said once she had her heart cath that we would know in about a week or so), but it seems that for the review they (being some docs and surgeons) do on Mondays, there was not enough of them there to discuss Piper's case. Now, I am not sure if any of them had the flu, but it affected the nurses big time because they are just constantly on the phone with people regarding the flu and not calling people like us who were waiting on some info.

I did call the nurses this week to see if they knew anything and hadn't passed it along, and ended up leaving a message. They got back to me and explained the whole "it's been an unusually hectic week over here!" and I understood that completely.
So it's nice to know that there hasn't been any info withheld, there is just no new info. The nurse did say that this Monday, Dr. Duncan will be able to discuss Piper's case and will call by no later than Wednesday. Then we will have a date for surgery.

I feel as though I can relax a bit now. Up until now I was feeling as though I was kinda in the dark and waiting, waiting, waiting. Now, well, I am still waiting, but now I know for sure that after this Monday, there will be some sort of answer. Once we have a surgery date, I will be able to relax even more, as life can kinda move forward towards something real and palpable, instead of this ominous who-knows-when land.

The next debate is whether to get Piper the H1N1 flu shot. The nurse today did say that Piper was at a higher risk of having complications if she got it, due to her heart. But once she is 6 months, she can get the vaccine. I am torn. I feel as though I am not educated well enough to know all the sides of this debate. The nurse said that they wouldn't be releasing this vaccine if it wasn't safe. I do understand that, but this whole flu thing has come up so fast and there is just so much mixed information.

We'll keep thinking about it, and just keep washing our hands and sneezing into our sleeves.



Piper loves to pull hair now... at least Daddy's is short.

4 comments:

  1. I hope Piper wouldn't have to stand in those H1N1 3 hour long line ups! I wonder if you got a H1N1shot if it would pass through breast milk?
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, I don't know what to do about the h1n1 vaccine either! Too much conflicting information! Cute video, again! I need to drag out my video camera more often! Hopefully you hear from the hospital ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is debating this swine flu shot it seems! The way I look at it now, is if I don't get her the shot will the result of that be worse? I would rather Cheyenne not have to be exposed to it at all. If we don't give her the shot and she ends up with swine flu and something terrible happens I would be so mad at myself for not just giving her the shot. But do what your gut is telling you. Everyone has their own opinion and you can find info for both parties but in the end you have to do what you think is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am really torn on the vaccine too but i am leaning against not getting it. i think the media has hyped it up big time. more people are dying from the normal flu and malaria then they are the swine flu. i am protecting my kids naturally with probiotics and kindervitals to boost their immune systems. I think if they can fight naturally it is better then the vaccine. there are ingredients in the vaccine that are suspect and there is no history of it to tell us what later side effects will be. So i am just going to say no to the vaccine and pray that we will all be alright. There are so many people that have it in vanderhoof right now and are all surviving just fine. we just hear about the odd deaths. i feel your urgency though because of Pipers heart and i have the same with bens asthma but i am going to trust God that he will look after us all. Hope bout that for a speal eh?

    ReplyDelete