Tuesday, November 3, 2009

And we wait again...


It seems my morning isn't going as planned (does it ever? not really). I was so glad to get a call from BCCH this morning, from Dr. Duncan telling me that this week they had reviewed Piper's case. The only part that I was a little fuzzy on was that we won't actually get a real surgery date until about 2 weeks before it will happen. I really had it in my mind that this next phone call, I could physically mark something on my calendar and focus all my worry on that day. Nope.

It turns out, that Piper is now officially on the surgery waiting list (and like I mentioned earlier, it is quite lengthy at 70+ kids). This is for any kind of surgery, not all the same surgery that Piper will have.
Anyways, Dr. Duncan explained that, especially with this darned flu going around, they can go from having 5 empty beds to having none in a blink of an eye.

I do understand that part: that a waiting list involves waiting. Right. And he did mention that your chances of having your date moved around is about 50%. And he said "don't take it personally", it just happens that way.

So the "date" he did give me was just before the Christmas break or just after it, so late December, or early January. We will get another phone call early December from a surgery booking lady and she'll give us the low-down on when to come in etc. We will be coming in, say the week of the surgery to meet with the surgeon and the staff (nurses etc) and discuss exactly what will be happening during surgery. I hope we will get to see what kind of room we'll be in, and what is available to us. I would assume so.

But alas, it is more waiting for us. It could be another month now until we hear anything new. And once more, I am kinda torn.
Half of me wants this surgery to happen tomorrow, so we can get on with recovery and being normal. The other half of me wants to stay as far away from a hospital as I can.
And then thinking of surgery right before Christmas? This will be her first Christmas, and she might not be able to enjoy it... My whole family will be here this year, which would be so amazing if they could all be around for her recovery, but at the same time, I might just want a normal first Christmas with my baby.

In the end, I am grateful for a healthy baby right now, who is babbling like a banchee and almost sitting up and eating big-girl food and doing all the right things. Piper really does delight me daily and I need to let this dark cloud of surgery float away.
Matt has been an amazing husband during all of this, and has such a level head on his shoulders (even when I don't). He just loves being a Dad: I can see it every time he goes to tickle Piper's belly with his face or bounce her around in the air. It's almost a daily thing that he'll stop mid-walk and look at me and go "we've got the cutest baby girl". And then keep walking, or doing whatever he was doing. I am so glad we're on the same team :)

On that note, here are some family pics of us all at the park! We went out to take some family pictures of our friends and at the end, asked them to take a picture of us! This is what followed!!




6 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful family! Waiting really is the hardest part... Hang in there! And thanks for the updates, you're doing a fantastic job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great family photo. Patience is a tough thing, I'm trying to teach kai about it these days:) I guess it's hard waiting because you don't know how to process a timeline that's not set. Again, great family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting sucks! It will be nice having your family around at Christmas, whether the surgery is before or after! I love the family pictures! Hair pulling hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the family pictures. We're keeping you guys in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete