Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nothing new...


Sorry, I feel if there is no new medical information to give out, I don't bother updating this blog. Hmmm... I can still tell you all that Piper is doing just lovely these days. She has a wee bit of a cough, which is not fun, but it hasn't gotten any worse and there is no fever, so I am just letting it run its course. Of course, by the time you want it checked out, it takes nearly a full week to see a Doc anyways. Bah. Other than that, she is great.


I think, with her 6 month vaccines, I will get her the first dose of the flu shot and be done with the worrying. Its not in my nature to fret this much, and in her case, the outcome of getting the flu without the shot could be worse than whatever the repercussions of getting the shot are. Does that make sense? And besides, there is too much hype. This is not a moral issue. It's a personal, medical choice. So there.

Oh, but I did hear something nice from a friend of a friend, who happens to work at BCCH as a physiotherapist. She said she does a lot of pre-admission stuff for "heart-babies" (hospital staff tend to refer to any baby with a heart condition as thus. I think its totally cute) and has seen a good number of them post-op, too, and had some really encouraging things to say.
She said the scar, once they are all done, is about maybe as long as my pinky finger and nice and fine and clean. I had always imagined an open-heart surgery scar to be quite gaping and jagged, but of course they would do the best job they could! She also reiterated how quickly and nicely babies heal! Hooray!

It was really nice to just talk to someone kinda removed from our situation but who really new the hospital and protocols etc and who could just fill me in with information in a non stressful way. Not like the hospital staff wouldn't, but I feel that if I were to call them, it should be for a big enough issue, and sometimes I just like to ask little questions like "is there a fridge somewhere where we can keep food?".


Anyways, that was just really nice for my heart. I am feeling pretty good, trying not to stress and just looking forward to this coming Christmas time with my whole family coming down our way! Another hooray!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute name: 'heart babies'. I think Piper will wear her scar proudly, and now a days they do scars so small and neat. I know that with my c-sectin scar at least, it is so faded already, after being cut twice! Cute smile she has in that picture!

    ReplyDelete