Friday, November 27, 2009

Getting better... slowly.


I think Piper is finally getting a little better. It's just been such a slow recovery from this cough, it seems unending. Now, she seems only to cough close to sleep times and it will usually wake her up. Though every day I think she coughs a little less. But I never do want her to be sick again... I know that is impossible, but so far she has had to miss her 6 month shots because of this (which would have included her H1N1 shot), which just makes me a little uneasy.

I don't want her to be sick in general. But if she is sick when she is due for her surgery, then she will be bumped back and we will miss her surgery date and who knows when there will be a spot available again. For the first time ever, I have to be really vigilant about keeping my self free of germs and staying away from sick people. And now that Piper is into everything with her hands, I have to be careful about everything she touches (I am normally pretty laid back about that kind of thing. I don't rinse off the soother when it falls on the ground - don't judge me!). Anyways, its not all that normal for me to be anal retentive. I'm not that good at it.

Anyways, BCCH called yesterday to ask if we wanted to immunize Piper for RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), as it effects most kids and acts like a cold, though babies with weakened immune systems, premmies, or babies with heart conditions are more at risk and are harder to help once they have it. It is a seasonal thing, and will be going around, but the hospitals want to keep the babies out of the hospitals that will be a lot more work (like those listed above) so they've got an immunization for them.

the virus in action!! duh, duh, duh....

Its a shot that will have to be given 5 times over about 4 months (boo), but will hopefully keep her safe enough. Apparently, only about 500 kids in the province get it, as its only offered to some. I figure if its the hospital calling, after looking at her file and pre-approving it, it might be a safe option to go with. I don't want her sick again.

Luckily for us, they hold clinics in Surrey at the hospital, so we don't have to make the trek out to Van. They should call us in a week or so?

This is a decision I feel good about. I don't have time, energy or patience to pull the "moral" card on the issue of immunizations. For me, Piper getting sick with something like this would be far worse whatever this shot could possibly bring with it. I need to weigh the pro's and con's, and whatever works better in Piper's favor wins.

Ok, I am off my soapbox.

Here is an audio recording of Piper's heart. It's not the best recording, but you can really hear the swoosh-swoosh of her heartbeat compared to a regular one. And its kinda a constant swooshing sound, no little breaks like with our beat, after the bump-bump...break, bump-bump... break.
If you ever get a chance to feel her heart, do try it. It has a much more frothy, scratchy kind of feel, opposed to our distinct lub-dub. We won't be offended either. It's going to change, so feel it now because it won't always be like that.
I think her heart beats a little bit faster that some, too, but just a tiny bit. Nothing to worry. about. And sorry if the normal heartbeat part looks a little morose, or gloomy. I think TV shows have made us associate the sound of a heartbeat with a sort of terminal idea... like, its going to stop any second now! I'm not meaning that. I just added it for comparison reasons.

Do try to enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. very cool. You should record her heart while she is sleeping for a good sound

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow lots of doctor adventures! Frances, you're such a great writer - maybe when your mat lve is over - you should start a blog with paid subscriptions - you have much to say! Glad little Pipes is on the upswing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the video with her heartbeat! Very interesting to hear the comparison of the two. Hopefully the vaccinations go well and keep her from getting sick again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear she's feeling better :) We'll pray she stays healthy for her surgery.

    ReplyDelete