Friday, April 16, 2010

Life as usual.


So here we are: post-op.

Now that we are here, it all feels like I made a really big deal out of all of this. I remember, as we were driving home from the hospital thinking "wow... was that it?". And it was.
People: this is totally do-able. Babies are so resilient. It is just us parents who need to learn how to be like that.




I am so glad that I took so many photos of the whole event. I have looked back a few times, and not even realizing it, hold my breath as I scan through them. Photos remember so much more than I do. But it's good, too. It brings back the sounds, smells and emotions of that time, and I am glad that I captured them.



Some things I would have done differently:

  • we should have scheduled a walk every day, for at least 30 mins or so. I am sure we both gained about 5 pounds just sitting around and snacking. Gaak.
  • I should have taken more notes during the day. I am really glad I blogged as often as I did, but I am still sure I forgot a bunch of stuff.
  • brought more sitting work. I had a project to do with Piper's cloth diapers but I couldn't find my seam-ripper, so I didn't do it, but that would have been perfect. I ended up reading a lot, which was good, but it made me sleepy.


Hmmm... maybe that is all. Otherwise, our experience was so good, all things considered. But I am so glad it is all over now.

Anyways, we didn't get to go to BCCH this week because Piper had been exposed to the measels, so even though she doesn't have them, they don't want to risk her still carrying into the hospital. So we'll go at the end of the month.
We check in with the pediatrician on Monday. I'm not worried about anything really... just want to be told "yup, all is well!".

Ok. Baby just woke up, here are some more pictures:




I worry a little bit about how the chest tube holes sorta tug up a little bit... might just need the scar tissue to soften up? It feels tough and hard under there.
Here is Piper with my Dad. He just had an operation to remove cancer in his liver, and so far so good. He is hoping to have the same sort of recovery time as Piper: "well, if a baby can do it, so can I!".



1 comment:

  1. Wow, babies sure are resilient...she just looks so healthy and happy! And, even though I say it every time, she is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete