Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some good news!


So this morning I called the hospital to see if they could tell me anything about a possible surgery date. Seems simple, right? Well, as soon as I got a nurse on the phone (hooray for direct lines!), all of my words became all jumbled and half-latin and backwards. I couldn't hardly get anything out except for "so, ummm" and "maybe, ummm". Yeah, I sounded like an idiot. And I felt like one. Man, this preggo-brain thing is really lingering.

The nurse patiently listened to me trying to form sentences and finally let me know that she knew that the surgeons were scheduling for January already, though the waiting list is in the process of being "re-prioritized".

So this means, there will be no surgery before Christmas! I do feel really great about that. I wasn't even really aware of how much I wanted it to happen in January until I got off the phone and let out a huge sigh.
Later, the surgery-booking lady (imagine that job, eh?) called to say that, yes, the list is being looked over by the surgeons and cardiologists and there is no new info on her end. She's been pestering them to get her the new list, as she said I was not the first parent to call. She did say "well, I could give you a date if you really wanted me to, but at this point, the likelihood of it changing is quite high". So she encouraged me to wait some more, since getting a date and having the change it is a lot less fun than just waiting.

And now, I really do feel ok waiting. I can relax about having a post-op baby for Christmas time, and I can push all of my worries into 2010! Take that!

Some not-so-great news is that Piper has a runny nose again, and is coughing a bit more today. She had a really "off" night last night, and we had to give her Tylenol (thinking it was teeth?), but I think she might have been fighting some sickness. Bleh. I hope its just a touch of something, maybe the cold weather? She is a bit less forgiving today, and looks like she might need an extra nap. I've got to remember to give her some more attention during these times and not try to push her to get through it. She might just need some more mommy-time.

But she continues to grow, grow, grow! She is sitting all on her own now, all the time, and is almost wanting to scoot places, though she doesn't quite know how. I can tell she wants to move, but is a little afraid of tipping over.

And as always, she is in love with the cat. The coolest thing is to pick Piper up, and ask her "where is the cat?", and she immediately starts looking in all the usual "cat places": where her bowl is, the window, by the stairs... and she just looks and looks and looks until she finds her, and then Piper smiles and laughs and wants to visit with the Foos. The Foos is starting to tolerate her a mico-fragment more these days, but still pretty much just walks away if Piper get too close.

Here they are, both playing with something the love, and enjoying themselves at a safe distance.

2 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for you guys that you don't have to worry about a surgery and recovery during the christmas season! glad to hear they are working the list and will let you know soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome news that you can rest assured until after Christmas! So so happy for you guys. I cannot believe she is old enough to be sitting unsupported already! Where oh where does the time go. When you describe her relationship with the cat, it reminds me of Gaby with her big brother, so cute together!

    ReplyDelete