Thursday, December 17, 2009

Stickered up.


Poor child. Four shots in 2 days. Her little thighs are all poked. So far, she seems to be coping alright.

Yesterday she was given her 6 months shots (she missed them because she was sick last time) and then we H1N1 shot (dose #1). Anyways, nothing too exciting. No reaction, a little fussier at night time, and not eating as normally. She had a bit of a temperature this morning, but nothing crazy.

At noon today she received the first of 5 doses of her RSV shot. This was done at Surrey MH, at a special little clinic that they maybe hold on certain days? Not sure. The room the nurse put us in had little instruction posters up for oncology patients... Hmmmm...

We ended up waiting around in our little oncology room (which looked kinda like the room you deliver your baby in, but a little smaller. And there was an awesome lazy-boy in there that Piper got rocking on, and she thought that was pretty funny) for a while. Piper got weighed, and she had to be naked, as the medicine is dictated on weight. After 15 pounds, it is given in two needles, opposed to just one shot. She was a perfect 16 pounds (oh man, and I am feeling it!) so she had to get two needles. The kinda cool/crazy/sad/smart part is that they actually get two nurses to inject one needle each, one in each leg, at the same time. Really, it makes sense, it just looks like some strange form of torture.
Imagine, Piper is laying on a hospital bed, with me at her head, kinda restraining her arm, and then two nurses at the legs, each poised with a needle, hastily swabbing and unpacking things and glancing at each other as if to count "one, two, three?". I took a quick peek at the needles and there as a good amount of fluid in there! x2! Ya.
They injected the needles and Piper cried initially, as these shots actually took longer to inject as there was quite a large amount of stuff to go in. I've found that she is fairly easy to settle after it's all done. There were two new little sticky band-aids and we were good to go. (well, after waiting our 15 mins, of course)

Once I was home (Piper fell asleep the moment I put her in her car seat- no joke), I looked at the appointments coming up for her shots. It looks like this little girl will be getting 1-2 shots a month until she is a year old. Oh my. That kinda hit me.
Her next RSV shot has to be 21 days apart from this one, and then the subsequent ones are all 28 days apart. She also needs the second hit of her H1N1 shot, so, the first week in January, we'll be doing the same thing, with a few shots within a few days.
Alas, this is all the name of prevention. Wow. I guess we'll never really know if it's worth it, that's the funny part.
Well, that's not entirely true. We spent that one evening in the emergency room, and if she got the flu or RSV, it would be something like that, but much more serious. And I don't want to have to go through that again.


But we're home now, all well and happy. I bought a new baby Tylenol (grape!) and we should be good for the evening. As I am writing this, Piper is "baabaabaa, aaabababa, aa-waaa-ba"-ing with Matt in her bed, playing peek-a-boo and rolling around. They've just had a bath, which I think they would both admit is their favorite part of the day. I know it is for Matt (he told me so tonight), and Piper is just so content in the water, either lying down, or sitting up splashing or even sticking her tongue into the shower water. She really loves that water.

Anyways, this picture below is one of my favorites right now. Personally, I think Piper looks a lot like baby-me in this one, and I know she is so happy to be beside the Foos, both looking out the window watching the birds and cars. For the most part, she is a fairly happy baby, really. There are certainly days that aren't splendid, but I guess that's part of it.
I am realizing more and more, talking to more people with kids and life experience, that I am really a glass-half-full kind of mother, and person in general. Yes. And I am ok with that. I don't think that is me being naive to possible scenarios, or always trying to be blind to the negative things, I just think that there is enough garbage going on in our day-to-day lives that I don't need to stress over things that don't warrant it (ie. baby poop on my fingers, laundry coming out my ears, an ever-changing baby etc...).



Ok. Off to watch a show with Matty and Piper in the basement: she plays with her "downstairs toys" and we get a little entertainment in. It's usually a lovely way to spend an evening.


2 comments:

  1. There is a little bit of Dad in that face...so sweet. She is baababahahbbaa-ing?!!?? Oh, I'm jealous...I'm missing out! Oh well, won't be long and I'll get to spend a few days with you guys... :)

    Anna xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this age, soo much fun! Sounds like she did really well with all those shots. I think it's harder on the mom than the baby! I agree with the glass half full mentality. A little baby poop on the fingers never killed anyone!

    ReplyDelete