Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Playing the "date"ing game.



We've done this all before: we get a call from the surgeons office telling us they have booked us for a surgery day and we get all excited and start looking forward to the day and then... it get's rescheduled or bumped around somewhat.

So, today, when we got a call from the surgeons office with a date for June 15th, I am deciding not to get too excited. It could easily be later in June or who knows when!


For now, we have a surgery date for Piper's second open heart surgery for the 15th of June, 2011 (I still have to say 2011 because I can hardly believe it myself). We'll have a pre-admin day one week before, where we meet all the staff: surgeon, cardio nurses/practicioners, anaesthetist, physiotherapist, and the list goes on. It's sorta an intense day, but we've done that part before, too. They will take an X-ray and draw some blood (oh joy), but no need for an echo, as she just had one done. I am hoping my sister can come with us again, so she can be another set of ears and can distract Piper if need be.

We will still hear from the hospital on Tuesday and see how everything looks, after they have all discussed Piper's case at conference rounds on Monday. There is always a chance things could change.

In the mean time, we are trying to plan a trip to Tofino for just after our pre-admin day and just before surgery, so we can all have a nice break before we lock in for a few days/weeks of recovery. But of course, we have to be careful to not let Piper get sick (fever) before surgery, as they would probably postpone it then.

I do really love having a date, though, even if it is just an approximate date. I can plan a little easier, and it really does look like perfect timing. I was a little glum today, just sorta slowly processing things in my head, and realizing that I was actually a little angry that we had to do this all again. But somehow, just getting a little more direction, and a little bit more of a plan just helped me focus that energy on the future, not on the unknown. God knew just what I needed - and I needed a plan :)
Our May is really full, but luckily, June is nice and slow. Hopefully, Piper can be back to her normal self by the time Canada day swings around and we can enjoy our last summer as family of three!

Onwards and upwards!


1 comment:

  1. I hope God give you guys peace during this time of waiting for this 2nd surgery.
    Not to ignore what you all wrote, but look at her hair!

    ReplyDelete