Saturday, February 6, 2010

Progressing like crazy, baby!


These days, I sometimes look back and think of where we would be if Piper had had her surgery last Wednesday.

The "worst" would have been over, we would hopefully be out of the ICU and in our own room, and Piper would have been on her way to recovering already. Maybe I could be holding her already and be getting closer to thinking about going home.
Really, I shouldn't be melancholy at all, because I get to see my baby all the time, she is in great spirits, and we are home safe and sound. Her heart doesn't slow her down or make life more difficult in any way. I should be happy to have these moments of normalcy.

It's funny because even in these last few days, Piper has been making (what feels like) leaps and bounds towards being a bigger girl! She is starting to scoot a little bit, or at least realizes that when she sees something over there, she can somehow get to it. She will scoot or kinda wiggle forward on her belly, but this movement thing is happening! And she is saying "words" sometimes in the right instance, like when Matt comes home and she sees him she says "da-da" all excited. Hmmm... very likely to be a coincidence. And today, she signed a perfect "milk". Oh, I was so, so, so excited to reward that! Matt had gotten her out of bed and had her in the kitchen just holding her, when I heard him say "umm, you should probably get out here; she wants some milk". Ta-da! She did it again, and was excited to see me and away we went to get some much deserved milk. We'll see if she can repeat now, but that just melted my heart.
I love when we can communicate.

So, it's funny because had she gone in for surgery this week, we would have never seen any of there progressions. They would have come later, but we get to see them now! And that just makes my day. Surgery will come, but for now, I am ok with it staying at bay for a while.

Oh, and we had a great time at the pool on Friday! Piper was a little hesitant at first, but ended up having a pretty good time near the end. The morning was fairly quiet and the pools were nice and warm :) And so far, I haven't seen any sickness/infection come out of it. Good family fun.

I do treasure these moments, and right now, our life is just the way it is, and I love it.


ps. Going to Ikea now, to get some fabric for the bathroom valence, and to find a shower curtain! Crossing things off my list!

2 comments:

  1. there's just so much to comment on! i don't know what to say.. what a crazy time. we've definitely been thinking about you alot! if you need a vacation you know that we're here for you!

    so... have fun finding a shower curtain - it took me weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out, before you know it she'll be running around! I don't think the 'da da' is just a coincidence, because Gaby does the same thing when Randy comes home, he loves it! Do you have any pictures from swimming?? I love seeing babies splashing in the water.

    ReplyDelete