Tuesday, February 9, 2010

So many lovely people.


It never ceases to amaze me, that there are actually really great people out there. I mean, really great people.

We went to get Piper's blood taken down the road (after visiting Safeway to get a sale on yogurt!), and upon giving my papers from BCCH to the front desk lady at BCBioMed, she scanned down the paper and said "oh, my son had that", seeing Tetralogy of Fallot. I said "oh really! How is he now?" and she went on to say that he was doing mostly fine, though he has had to have a few more surgeries to fix his valve, but other than that, he is swell. We kinda chit-chatted back and forth, and she was just so encouraging, and even had the same hematologist as us, and knew the cardiology nurses well and the cardiologist and knew of the surgeon. It almost felt like coming home, just a little bit.
You know that feeling, when you are in a big group of new people and you suddenly discover someone with that common link to you: same last name, birth place, cultural heritage? And it is just that tiniest thread that holds you that fraction closer, but you are all of a sudden so much closer to them than to anyone else in that group. It was kinda like that. She knew exactly where I was at.

Next, she proceeded to ask me if I had heard of the Children's Heart Network (CHN). Well, no, I hadn't actually. She then told me how great it was to just connect with more people who have had the same thing happen to their kiddies and how they've coped or things of that sort. She quickly tore off a little yellow Post-It and wrote down the web address and handed it to me. Then, just wait for it, she pulled off another little yellow Post-It and wrote her phone number on it, saying, "if you've got any questions, just let me know".

Umm. Wow?

Apparently, she is part of the CHN and is a rep for the Fraser Valley. Such an amazing contact! She then worked up a standing working order card that says that we are coming in every week to have the same little test done and "put it in your wallet. Don't lose it". Ok.

I nearly cried a little when she gave me those Post-It's. I wanted to ask her a million questions at once, and hear everything she felt and went through and how things are now, but we did only have a few minutes. Though, resources are kinda invaluable, no? I will definitely be looking into the CHN more. They even have a mom's coffee meet up that happens every month! How cool is that?

Little Piper's blood was taken (that same lady came to help find a vein and draw blood - good thing, too. The dude who was geared to do it seemed a little hesitant and kept calling Piper a "he". He couldn't look at me in the eye either... not a good sign), which is never fun, but she found a vein nice and fast and out came lots of blood in their pretty purple-topped vial.

Done! Of course Piper cried, more so at first just because I had to hold her so tight and she had 2 other people hanging on to her wee little arm. Not a fan of being constrained. She was calmed down after and we were free to go.

So now, Piper is napping in the stroller in the front entrance and I am feeling 99% better for this little adventure. That remaining 1% is stored up in worry for those WBC's to multiply like crazy. Or even just a little.


A total of 7 teeth to date. Wowza.

1 comment:

  1. look at those teeth! i'm so glad you have someone (with experience) to talk to!

    ReplyDelete