Thursday, January 28, 2010

Getting ready. Down to 6 days


What will we need while our child is in the ICU?:

Fortunately, we are being well taken care of. They list 5 things here, and I'll let you know how we are doing on these fronts.

- A place to stay: like I mentioned before, my dear friend is out of town for the week and she has offered her place to us. She also happens to live about 5 mins away from the hospital, and has her own on-suite, TV and nice big bed. Thank you Karen. Big-time help. We'll stay there for a night or two while Piper is in the ICU.

- A pager: hmmm... they also mean "cell-phone", I assume. They say they might have "parent pagers" availible for us to take, too, but we'll most likely communicate to them with our phones when we are away.

- A microwave: they've got some on the floor, as well as a fridge/freezer and a toaster oven! Hooray!

- Locker for personal belongings: we'll have the car, and probably just keep a back-pack on us if we are really accumulating a lot of things. We live rather well out of a pack.

- A breast pump: luckily, the hospital is full of them. They've got whole rooms and fridges dedicated to milk-pumping women. That is so encouraging:) I love that they also want my baby getting the best possible milk she can get. I've also got a hand pump just in case.

And here are some more things that I've got ready for us:


* books I plan on reading more of (Dove looks like a good one to read together)
*Good old Gold Fish (Matt's secret vice)
* Our fave granola bars (I claim all the cinnamon roll ones)
* Getting our fruits+veggies in when we can
* Yes, those are Froot Loops. So good though! We'll try to not go out for breakfast, hence, the cereal.
* These are so stinkin' tasty! Even the Foos is interested. Go pick some up right now!


And then I found these jammies at Costco. These are a "welcome home!" pair of jam-jams. They were the only ones there, no tags (must have been a return), but they had a zipper! In the hospital, well, at least last time, they said she could wear clothes, but snaps were handy because little probes and lines could still go through them. But as every parent knows, a squirming kid is never easy to get into snap jammies. So these nice little jammies remind me that in no time flat, she is going to be squirming up a storm and I will be so thankful for the quick zipper. And she looks so nice in those colors. And everything with a little birdy on it makes me think of a sand piper, hence, I have to buy it. Danger.

But I'll have these washed and ready to wear, waiting for her on her crib when she gets home.


4 comments:

  1. I read the Alchemist not long ago, it was a good read :) Yum! dried mangoes - sooo good!

    Those PJs look adorable, I look forward to seeing a picture of Piper wearing them in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to help any way I can!! I will be thinking of you guys while I'm away.
    I love all the pictures..you are an awesome storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Costco jammies....and zippers are so great for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you take those pictures with your new lens? Very nice! I love dried mangoes too! so yummy!

    ReplyDelete