Thursday, January 14, 2010

Getting to the nitty-gritty- 20 days to go

What will happen at the day clinic?

Also known as the pre-admission clinic. This is the appointment we have for the 1st of February. They said on the phone to bank on about 3-4 hours, and in the book they say to count on about 4-6 hours. So, I am planning to be there for about 5 hours.
This means, that Piper will probably take 1-2 naps on us, via the sling, but she will be having some tests done throughout the day, too, so it won't be a great day. Up and down, go and wait, here and there.

Some things we'll do at the pre-admin clinic will be:

- make sure Piper is well enough for surgery
- get to tour the areas of the hospital we'll be in
- get in instructions on how long Piper should fast pre-surgery, and then "bowel preparation" (no idea what that entails!) and when to arrive the day of the surgery.
- give us info on the anaesthetic they will use during the surgery and their plans for sedation
- talk about recovery post-op.

I hope I will feel like my questions will get answered somewhere in there, and mostly, that its just not a completely overwhelming day. Its nice to have this time to mentally prepare for it.

They'll also probably run these tests on that day:

- chest X-ray
- ECG (electrocardiogram)
- bloodwork/analysis
- oxygen saturations (sats)
- echocardiogram

Piper has had all these tests done at least twice, if not more... like an X-ray. I am starting to wonder about that one. Hopefully after this, she won't need one for a while. I know these tests are really to just make sure they have super current info on everything that is going on, so there are no surprises on the 3rd.

The more I think about it, now I am glad that we go in on the Monday, have then have the entire Tuesday to recoup and then go in again for Wednesday for the surgery. We might all be pretty wiped after Monday. On that Monday, we do have a family dinner as well, which I also feel really good about. We'll leave Piper at home with a baby-sitter and just have a chance to just be together and be with some adults for the evening. We can maybe shake some of the day off, maybe have a glass of wine and just eat comfort food. We might be ready for that :)

This next section in the binder is dealing with the actual day of surgery. I've read this part a few times, and every time I read it, it makes more and more sense, yet I come out with more and more questions. How does that work?


How will we know when and where to go?

On that Monday they will tell us just where to go on the morning of the 3rd. It might be a completely different place than anywhere we've been before. Though, just like with her angiogram, I have a feeling we'll see about half a dozen waiting rooms before we actually get anywhere.
They also remind us here that there is still a chance that Piper's surgery date could be changed at any moment. We've been told that she is a "priority 3", which is low, which is good in that there is no rush, but it is also bad because we might get bumped around like crazy because nothing urgent has to happen.

What will happen before our child goes to the operating room?

Pretty much, we'll wait.

They'll put some EMLA cream (the stuff that numbs her skin) on her hand so that she doesn't feel the IV go in (thank you, thank you!). They mention she may be given some sedating medicine, but I am not sure if they will in her case. And then they say we wait until its time to take her to the surgical room. Some places let you go right in there with your child, but they didn't let us take her for her angiogram, so I don't see them letting us do that for her surgery either.
I am not even sure if I would like to see the inside of the operating room. Half of me does, because I am sure I would be amazed, but the other half of me would almost throw up and break down crying. I don't like the idea of her being some place I know nothing about. But maybe they don't let the parents in for the medical staff's sake, too. Maybe that stresses them out, too! I can imagine seeing some really nervous parents hand off their child to you, and having to watch that emotional departure just before you get to really serious work. For her angiogram, Piper just let the nice nurse carry her away to this mysterious room and I didn't see her again for a few hours.
Oh, that part might be harder this time. I can imagine myself being really brave and smiling, but I can also imagine myself passing out in the hallway and just moping the rest of the waiting period. I really want to be strong. I really do. I know it's ok to be afraid and to cry, but I do so want to be brave.
Only time will tell... Wow, this is getting more and more real each day.


Piper loves standing up and walking. Of course, not without help, but she is having such a hard time getting the crawling game going. She can sit and put her hands down and start to really pull herself forward, but her legs get in the way and she either tips on her head, or just gives up. It's up to her. We've tried helping, but she is pretty independent.

And now the car seat hunt is on! I hate this part. We are looking for the one that they go into after their infant seat (which she still fits, but her it's getting a little small) and they are in for a long time... Ahk. I hated stroller shopping, too. Luckily, our infant seat is lent to us, so we never had to shop for it :) These darn seats are so stinkin' expensive, too! Dang. And they are kinda one of those things I don't feel great buying second hand... we'll see how that changes.

1 comment:

  1. You will do the great the day of! I'm sure of it, and whether that means you bawl your eyes out, or stay straight faced, everyone knows you love that little girl and that you're doing what's best for her.

    As for the carseat: I LOVE my Britax Marathons. We have one for both kids. They're pricey, but I did a ton of research and really found it was worth the money. Good luck with that search! TJs has them in stock and in cute patterns as well. Gaby has a mossey oak pattern! ;)

    ReplyDelete