Friday, January 1, 2010

More of the same


Well, this holiday season has been lovely. Truly.

I've seen all of my family and Matt's family and had a great time eating, laughing and sharing together.


But honestly... I am kinda glad it's over. Wow. I am more wiped than I've been in a long time (say, getting up there with post delivery fatigue).

I really don't want to end up complaining on here, but just letting you know... I am sure I am not the only one who is completely bagged from this holiday season.

Yesterday we had a lovely impromptu New Years with friends from out of town and it was nice and simple (we learned to play Bohnanza!). But once again, this baby of ours is sick sick sick. I don't think it is with the flu that Matt and I both got post-Christmas (oh, the joys), but it's more of the same stuffy nose, cough and general boo-hoo-ness. I am sure it is not helped by the two monster teeth that are slowly pushing their way through her top gums. They get really close, then they back up, then close again, then disappear. Not fun. She is drooling like crazy, pulling her ears and has a diaper rash. All leading to teething pain. And so, I am sure some of her runny nose etc is part of that, and just a little bit sick, too.

Taking care of a sick baby is not my most glorious moments as a parent. I am a little ashamed of my behavior at times. There are times when nothing is enough for her, and I can't seem to give her anything she wants (milk, food, play, interaction, sleep, change etc...), so I give up, walk away and have to calm down a bit. Luckily for me, Matt has been home this week, so he's been able to sweep in and rescue the poor child. Piper just needs to be worn in her sling some more and be nice and close. She'll play on her own for a bit, but not like normal.
Again though, like our flu, I am just so glad this is happening now and not when we had a hoard of people here. Piper was such a trooper the whole time during the holidays.
My sister did make a good point, in that Piper is probably also feeling the social-drainage/lethargy that comes after an intense few days of non-stop visiting. So I can't blame her for being a little high-maintenance.

It just feels for the last few days I have been wishing for a fairy Godmother who just swoops in and tells me exactly what to do in every situation; that there is always a right answer and that nothing is a guessing game anymore. Sometimes I do want someone else to take over and for me to just disappear into the floor. Are all of these decisions really up to just me and Matt? Yikes. That is kinda heavy when you think of it.
I suppose these feelings come and go in motherhood, it just feels as though they have been somewhat compressed as of late.

On the upside of things, the floors have now been washed in my house (total and complete victory!) and things are looking like they are almost getting back to normal.

This next week, Piper gets the second of her H1N1 shot and then her second RSV shot as well, only a day apart. She's a tough girl. She'll handle it like a pro. Mommy on the other hand, might need a spa day.

Regardless, 2010 is upon us and I feel it is filled with all sorts of uncharted territory! I wish you all the happiest of beginnings :)



3 comments:

  1. Ahhaa Feel for you guys! Your write up brings back fatigued memories of past christmas's!
    On a more positive note I see how cute the 2 chairs look in picture above, so you can keep them! Just let me know 1st if you ever decide to get rid of them, ha ha maybe for some future LB cabin- hey you never know! Dianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick babies, who don't know what they want, are like having 3 little babies. It is very tiring. This season is very tiring. What you feel is totally how I feel at times. At least when they get older, they can verbalize what they want and need and it's much easier. But seriously, could that first picture get any cuter?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we have never taught you guys how to play Bohnanza!?!
    Hope you guys recover from the post Christmas flu.

    ReplyDelete