Friday, January 15, 2010

Time wasting... days left: 19


* Just a note: I really to think that we will get bumped one more time, at least before this surgery actually happens. So I am mentally prepare for that, but I still like counting off the days.*

What should you do during the surgery?:

So, what I've been told is that the surgery could be about 6+ hours or so? I think. That is kinda a lot of time. Now, they do have a parents lounge there, but for 6 hours watching the clock? I think not.

Last time, we did go to the cafeteria for a bit, but that was only an hour or so. It's always fun to leave your name and phone number and where you are on the dry-erase board. I actually really like writing on those... and I like looking at the other names on the board, and seeing where they have gone: "Makenna's parents- Timmy's across the street". I just find it cute.

Anyways. Our plan of action is all depending on how we feel.

Option 1: Go to Oakrdige mall. I have never been there and would like to check it out. There is nothing like a little shopping to get your mind off of things. Do I sound like a girl or what? But I am serious. I do want to get to that mall.

Option 2: Check out the new Apple store (computers, not fruit). Also love that stuff. Matt might really, really enjoy that, and there are plenty of glossy distractions there, too.

Option 3: Loiter at someone's house. We have a few friends/family in the area who have offered us a place to hang out and wait, which we might just do. Just watch TV, or maybe take a nap, or read a book... who knows what we'll feel like.

Option 4: Wait at/around the hospital. Boo.

So, I am opting for options 1, 2 or 3, or a combo of them all. And a little bit of option 4 as well. I think we'll bring out laptop and a bunch of DVD's and go through some of those as well, even if we have to listen through headphones. We need something totally distracting. I just want that time to fly by.

In the next few posts I'll be going over what exactly they'll be doing during the surgery (or as much as I know), which is kinda crazy, but amazing at the same time. It makes more sense why it would take 6+ hours...


I am feeling pretty good still, though I am sleeping terribly. Truly terribly. I was up last night until 2:30am watching "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" (for the first time- totally a great movie!), and then tossed in bed for a while longer, then Piper woke up at about 5:30am, so I fed her and then I slept until she woke up for real at around 8am. So I didn't great a huge amount of sleep, and certainly not consecutive. I'm finding, as she's stretching her nights into slightly more human hours of sleeping, I am not coping all that well. It's like I just want her to wake up every few hours. Oh, but I don't, but my psyche does or something. I am nearly going insane trying all these bedtime routines for myself.
I just remember dreaming of the day that she could sleep until 5-ish and thinking, "wow, I could have all that sleep time to myself!", if I went to bed at 10pm, I could have a normal 7 hours of sleep, if not more! But alas, my body doesn't want it. And you know how it is; the more you want to sleep, the harder it is, the more frustrated you get, the more you get worked up! Ahk. Seriously considering something in a pill form. And I feel this will only get worse. I started sleeping like this right before Piper's angiogram, but only like a week or so... I've got 3 weeks to go until her surgery, if not more!

Sorry, little pitty party for the parent. Ok. I'm going to be now, with M. Atwood's most recent book and we'll see how this goes. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about your body anticipating your baby waking up. Sometimes it's like, I want to go to sleep, I DON'T want her to wake up, but yet I want to see her again??? haha.. so weird. I hope your body gives you a break soon so you can get your sleep, too. Lavender is supposed to help with falling asleep. You could put some drops in a bath before bed and a few on your pillow, maybe? That's just what i've heard. I always liked baths before bed (haven't had one in a long time because I'm afraid to wake Cheyenne with the noise! of the water running, not from me! I'm quiet in the tub!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we allowed to vote for what you should do? If so, I vote for going to the mall. A little retail therapy never hurt anyone. You could buy Piper something special for her to keep as a reminder of the day. Or a coming home outfit, like you buy when the baby is born...

    Maybe Tylenol PM would help at night? I feel horrible for you that you aren't sleeping. Are you able to take naps during the day? Don't feel guilty about doing so, the house can get cleaned later, sleep is so important!!

    ReplyDelete