Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thinking about the parents - 8 days




There is a whole section devoted to Taking care of yourself, which I find really comforting. It just re-instates the fact, that all of this info has been really well thought out.

They recommend, while staying in the ICU, to:

- take turns, leaving Matt or someone else at Piper's bedside, and have a break
- eat good food... especially since I'll still be breast-feeding, and lots of water
- sleep whenever possible
- take walks, go outside, get some exercise: it will feel good.
- talk things out with someone

They encourage you to not feel guilty about leaving your child's bedside, but do what you have to do to stay healthy (inside and out).

I am really hoping Piper won't be in there too long. Maybe 2 days? Hopefully just one night. That would be amazing. But we'll see how things go. It's not about my comfort level.


They confirm the fact that no one can "do it all", and expect you to take breaks and take off from time to time. I feel better about that. I want to be around as much as I can, but not so much as to get stir-crazy.
I remember the nursery at SMH, for the day/night Piper was in there, it was just not a place you really "hung out". You wanted to get in, feed your baby, spend some time and then have some reason to get out. It was a great place, people and care wise, but it's just kinda heavy (granted, yes, I had just given birth to a baby, I probably wasn't in the best place emotionally/physically, but still).

I plan on, for those ICU days, to have some really comfy, good-looking clothes (it always helps to feel a little pretty), and have as few "things" as possible. Just some essentials: purse (phone, wallet, day-timer), water/fluid, snack, book, computer (optional- now that I think of it... I might not take it... stealable? geez! who goes into an ICU and steals??!!). I'll wear comfy shoes, and have a light jacket/sweater. I'll have candy and tissues in my pocket (kinda sounds like what a Grandpa would have in his pocket...)

I like to feel as prepared as I can. Though I am fully prepared to be unprepared. Does that make sense? I just know that all my preparation might prove moot when it actually comes down to it. Anything could happen.

Tomorrow, surgery will be a week away. This time next week we will hopefully have a sleeping baby, though a baby that may just have a very hungry night/day ahead of her.


Otherwise, today was a beautiful day! I loved seeing the sunshine... just reminded me that we have to get our car windows tinted. Can't wait for the summer :) I am vigorously planning my veggie garden... should be interesting.


5 comments:

  1. mmm...are you allowed to have cell phones turned ON in ICU? Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest bringing a toothbrush too. Nothing worse than fuzzy teeth to make you feel ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's sure got the most gorgeous blue eyes! What are you planning for your veggie garden? I'm dreaming of my veggie garden next year... Stay strong over there- You guys are champions:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a good plan, as far as what you will all bring with you. In one week it will be surgery time, but in one and a half weeks it will all be over with (for the most part anyways...). You have a great attitude towards it all, keep it up! And WOW! Piper is one cute little girl!
    Those eyes are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, the picture of her standing? ADORABLE. You guys sound really prepared and I totally do the same thing in regards to thinking about where we will be in one week, one year etc. I also look back a lot at last year or last month at this time etc. Good job team.

    ReplyDelete