Monday, March 15, 2010

So I guess this G-CSF stuff is working...


Ok. Speedy fast update!!!

Saturday neutrophils: 2.4
Monday neutrophils: 8.11

= G-CSF is working and we don't need to give the fourth dose. Piper is responding just as they expected her to and we will give her the medication again starting Saturday, then Sunday and Monday prepping for surgery.

Hospital day was pretty fast. It was our shortest visit yet, and we paid for full day of parking. Of course.

Piper got blood drawn for her pre-op stuff (a bit more blood than normal), though they forgot to fill a vial, so we had to come back and get poked again. Not fun. Have I mentioned the "blood collection" clinic is the only ramshackle part of BCCH? Oh, but the waiting room got new chairs today. Ok, that makes it all better. Right.


Being done at lunch time, and seeing as it was too late for Matt to go back to work to get anything done, we took the day "off" and went to Granville Island! It was so awesome. We got lunch at Safeway (which meant panini's, chocolate milk, yogurt, donuts. DOn't just me. We were on holidays) and brought it down to the docks and ate it watching the birds and people and listening to the man playing his flute thing to the canned music. It was pretty magical.

Then we took the Olympic Line train to, well, no where in particular and then just rode back... just to say we did it. We did it!!


Then off to my sister's and Matt's brothers for din-din (and Matt checked out his bro's cool school project). After dinner (= yummy goodness), Piper was meandering around and all of a sudden, she took a step from one of the chairs to the table. Say whhhaaaa? We all kinda saw it and just were kinda in awe. It came out of nowhere. But then, she was going back and forth between my sister and I, with some pretty drunk and squiggly steps/lunges, but they were all on her own. Matt got some on video... I'll try to get them for another day.


Ok, so Piper did some serious growing up today. Maybe she just needed more neutrophils to walk. Riiiight. I'll tell the doctors that one. They'll like it.

Oh yes, and somewhere in there, my phone just stopped working. Luckily it was after we had talked to the heme nurse, but still! Just dead. Pressed all the buttons, held all the buttons, talked nicely to it, plugged it in. Just dead. Or in a comma. Not sure yet. We'll give it the night.

Busy day. But we are feeling pretty good. Baby and Daddy are in the tub now, hopefully getting ready for a nice night, but who knows. I just hope that was our last hospital trip until next Tuesday at 7:45am, when we will be there for surgery. Wow. Only 8 sleeps. Kinda surreal. But it's coming.

3 comments:

  1. France, you can do it! You can so do this! It is totally sureal! I was flipping through my little black book of wonders and saw the day marked for Piper's surgery! I can't believe it is "that" time again. It will be great to move ahead with whatever happens. And it was so great to hang out for a bit today. You can do that anytime you are at BCCH. Love you guys!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think I should add that I know you can do this because I know what you are made of, and it's more than just skin and bones and neurons - there is all that you are (in all its super-ness) and then there is all that God is in you and all that he is doing through you - and that makes me confident that you can so do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your sister, you CAN do this! You have done this, I am so amazed everyday when I read your updates and see what you went through for that day, and how well you come out of it. Anyways...I'm glad you had a good day with the family, I see lots more like it in your future!

    ReplyDelete